Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Tribute to Saadiq

















This is all Cosmo Baker's fault. I mean, I've always loved Saadiq going back to the TTT days, but hearing Cosmo's mix of his work really put it all in perspective. Raphael Saadiq is a genius. Period. Just listen and you'll see. From Tony! Toni! Tone! & Stevie Wonder to Q-Tip & DJ Quik, he is just that dude.

So, without jumping further on his nuts...fast forward a couple days later and I'm driving around town bumping this CD. "Still Ray" came on and stayed on and that's when I knew I had to re-do it (now I know how Dre must've felt).
I came home and listened to it, figured out the piano part and played everything else from there. Once I was finished I called my man Miles Bonny to lay down vocals and trumpet like only he can and here it is, free for you.

DJ Day & Miles Bonny - Still Miles (Still Ray)

DJ Day - Skyy (Can You Feel Me)*

This was going to (and still might) come out on vinyl with another Saadiq cover I did that's an instrumental. I'll keep you all posted and I might just post it on the strength*.

I also want to say RIP to Tony D. Legendary unsung producer behind Poor Righteous Teachers, YZ, (O.P.P.* look it up) his own solo records and much more. He passed away from a car accident over the weekend. Check the interview he did with Fatlace last year.

11 comments:

Josh said...

Day, you never cease to amaze me...beautiful stuff man.

Ross Viator said...

I almost didn't wanna listen to this--"Still Ray" has been one of my favorite, favorite songs for years now--but I'm glad I did. Nice work (and props to Miles).

Paren said...

Great stuff, Day. On point as always...

Meistro said...

very very nice...

Anonymous said...

nice one Day.....

Raphael Saadiq is definitely one of the most underrated producers of all time....I saw him perform in SF and "can you feel me" was like a 15 minute encore version....too insane needless to say.....

excellent job with both versions....shout out to miles too...keep em comin...

let us know if it comes out on vinyl at some point....gotta pick up Exile's Radio LP too....

***kikko***

DJ Yamin said...

beautiful! thanks.

Anonymous said...

scuse me while i kiss the skyy

don johnson

Anonymous said...

most excellent!

Milian said...

Awesome sir..and loving the synths would love to hear a biggr synth solo. "Still Ray" - im playing it LOUD later as i take on the decks in Cambridge UK.
Appreciated. M

PageOne said...

Very strong, sir. I too am a big Ray fan, and I must agree with Hogg that I was a bit nervous to check it out based on the strength of the original. The synth replacement of the tuba/french horn was solid also. Miles did some excellent work on this too.

Thanks for putting this up and I too would love a vinyl copy.

Thanks Day!

phono13

Mr. Attention said...

STRONG work as always, Day. Thanks for sharing these.