Friday, October 17, 2008

Like You Say You Do



















As you can probably tell from my posts this week, I've been on mellow mellow (right on) mode and so I'm gonna end it on the same note. I recently got a promo of the new Menahan Street Band album and it's just as good as I thought it would be. Most people will know them from Jay-Z's "Roc Boys" (Jay basically rapped over the title track, "Make The Road By Walking") and from various other projects with The Dap Kings, Antibalas, El Michaels Affair, Joe Bataan, Budos Band etc. (basically that whole ill community of musicians coming out of New York). I've been a fan of all those cats for years and it's good to see them finally get some shine. I also posted up one of my favorite Lee Fields 7"'s that he recorded with some of the band. This joint will be worth $ one day - TRUST!

Enjoy and have a good weekend, y'all...

Menahan Street Band - Tired of Fighting

Lee Fields - Do You Love Me

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice one....I hadn't heard these dudes but the modern funk movement is incredible too.....of course we gotta have the classic and unknown old school gems but there is some excellent new stuff coming out....

Truth & Soul can do no wrong.....they contribute to the positivity of human civilization. I frickin love that song by the "Amazing Three" answer me sofly (I think) but that sh*t haunts me while I'm typing at work pretending to work.

I was picking up retro-funk sound (for lack of better term) records in the 90's but the sound and recording was a little too clean...Greyboy Allstars always did their thing and had great shows....but I remember when Poets of Rhythm with the Discerne/Define album came out....that was a whole new era/sound that was amazing. I still listen to that album constantly to this day....I think DJ shadow did some editing and added some BASS in there too. I hear your scratches in my head when I listen to the song you put credit is due when I'm listening to the album.....can't get em out....nice stabs, i gotta work on my rudiments....

by the way, what's that instrumental you put behind Kane's accapella (so I can bite)?? I always got that in my head too....

The Antibalas Afro-Beat liberation is another era/sound album. I remember being so giddy recording the vinyl for the first time cause I was so excited to drop their tunes in a set....saw them multiple times when they roll through Santa Cruz, f*ckin kill it everytime...

El Michels Affair - Sounding out the city- what can I say? f*ckin incredible...that sh*t has SOUL. They just came out with a 2008 version which is remasted. Buy both LP's people!! oh yeah, now they do Bronx River Parkway and some disco tunes with Kenny dope?? Please alert the masses day....

Joe Bataan "Call my name" - only when we've been doin our thing for 35 years minimum can we brag.....Joe Bataan with the brazilian band "yeah, yeah, yeahs"?? what is this world coming too....press purchase now....

Budos band "up from the south" 45....yeah, destroys the house with the bass, drum, and then those horns! works every time....seen these dudes in Santa Cruz too...

so basically, these dudes records are new but they will be old someday and you will only be able to find these records in japan...these new york cats know what us b-boy/funk disc jockeys want (even before we know it) and it's scary...they pre empt our minds!!

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, El Michels Affair has a new 45 with a non-lp song??....a little slice of heaven...

Anonymous said...

that lee fields song is incredible. such feeling. thanks for posting